What are virtual Room designer tools ?
We’ve searched all over the internet to find the best free virtual room designer tools. These tools are great when you’re looking at different types of flooring and trying to decide which one will work best in your rooms. You can look at images online and see samples of those items, and from there try to decide what you think will work. But wouldn’t it be nice to see pictures with those flooring materials already installed in rooms, even your own room ? Now you can do this with the virtual room designer tools available from flooring suppliers.
Unlimited Design possibilities with Virtual Designer Tools
These programs allow you to choose from images of different room types. Then you can instantly change the flooring materials and colors. Also with some of these virtual room designer tools you can even change details like the wall and trim colors, bedding and carpets, etc.. Armstrong & Mannington even allow you the option of uploading your own picture of your room and using it for designing. This is a great feature, though it does take a little time to properly prepare your image to work with the program.
So if you are trying to choose a hardwood floor installation, you can do your own virtual installation in an instant and see how you like it. You want to change to a laminate floor installation with a different color ? no problem, with the click of a button it’s done. These are great room designer tools to help you choose you flooring and they’re fun to use.
Design Your Room & We’ll Install It
Choose from any of the tools from flooring manufacturers listed below. Next choose the room style and then the flooring materials, colors, etc. If you do see something you really like and are interested in getting samples or setting up an installation, be sure to make note of which manufacturer’s website you’re on, as well as the item # or description. Then contact us at Gemini Floors for your free consultation & cost estimate for installation.
- Here’s the sites described below that let you upload an image so you can see your own room with different types of flooring: Mannington , Armstrong , Greatfloors , American Tile and Stone.
Examples of what you can do with a Virtual Room Designer
1. Mannington (has option to upload your own image) – This manufacturer offers laminate, porcelin, adura, luxury vinyl & resilient vinyl. We found this tool to be particularly useful for uploading your own image, along with the tool from Armstrong. Both of these have a feature that allows you to easily define the area of your floor by clicking on points and corners. You can do the same for the walls as well, however the result we found to be not quite as effective as for the floor. What happens is that corners and shadows are removed giving a less than realistic result.
When using Mannington’s tool we found it necessary to resize our original image to 1366 x 546 pixels in order for the whole image to display. This may change the overall proportion of your image making the room look wider, but for this purpose it’s fine. If you don’t have a program like Photoshop to resize your image, no problem there’s plenty of sites online for this. We used http://resizeimage.net/ . Simply click ‘Upload image’ in step 1 & select your image. Then go to step 4 ‘Resize your image’, enter 1366 x 546, uncheck ‘Keep Apect Ratio’ & click ‘No Fill’, as shown here in the image. Then Click ‘Resize image’ at the bottom.
With the tools that allow you to upload your own image you cannot usually change the kitchen cabinets. With Lowes‘ & Ikea’s tools however, you can change everything. Though to do so you must create a virtual replica of your room rather than upload your image. The tools that do allow you to upload your image are mostly limited to changing floors and walls, sometimes counters and trim as well.
2. Armstrong (has option to upload your own image) – Manufactures hardwood, laminate, vinyl & linoleum. Their tool also gives the option to upload your image & define your areas by clicking on points. Or you can use their existing room images. You can change the flooring types as well as the paint on the walls. Using the existing images, the paint effect looks perfectly real. You can also change both floor & paint color on your own image. Use the outline tool to define your surface areas.
3. Lowes – One of our favorite tools. It takes a little time to create your room from scratch, but once you’ve added all your items you have alot possibilities. Lowes’ even has an HD option which shows your image in realistic mode, making it look like a real photograph. In the image above you can see our Lowes design where we have replicated our original kitchen layout above. The Lowes version is obviously much wider. This was one limitation in the program. There doesn’t seem to be an option to set the room width. But you still get the idea.
Home Hardware Design Center has a very similar tool to Lowes.
4. Ikea – Ikea has several different virtual planning tools for planning different aspects of your house. There are individual tools to design everything from wardrobe, storage, living room and kitchen. And there is a general tool for designing any room. Follow this link to the list of design tools. The kitchen tool is found here on another page.
The 3D kitchen Planner is very similar to the Lowes Virtual Tool. You can design your virtual replica of your kitchen from scratch and adjust everything in the room. Add anything to your kitchen including appliances, furniture, flooring, paint & lighting. We recreated the same layout as our original kitchen as we did with Lowes’ tool. With the Lowes tool however we did not see an HD like Lowes has to see the image in a more life like view.
5. Quickstep – This virtual tool allows to choose various room type images & view the room with all types of laminate planks & floor colors. You cannot upload your own image, but you can choose various room types and easily change flooring and wall color. Its a quick and easy tool for getting a good idea of color combinations.
6. Greatfloors (has option to upload your own image) – Greatfloors is a supplier of all types of flooring. With their virtual tool you can choose room type images and view it with all types of flooring, wall colors and trim. You can also upload your own image. With this option you have to wait up to 48 hours for your image to be processed. With Mannington or Armstrong you can do the processing yourself. But here they do it for you and once it’s ready you can view your room and easily change the flooring and walls.
7. Roomstyler 3D Home Planner – The Roomstyler 3D Home Planner is a more advanced type of design tool for interior decorators. It allows you to create a very realistic image of virtually anything you can imagine for your room design. This tool seems to require more learning than most of the others. There are some video tutorials on the main page.
8. Flooring Ideas – This is another standard, easy to use virtual room designer tool. Choose your room image and select floor type, wall color and trim.
9. One Source Interiors – This is another standard tool from a supplier of all types of flooring. You can choose an image and change floor, walls and trim.
10. National Wood Flooring Association – Choose from images and change flooring, walls and trim. They also have the option to upload an image, however there is a fee to process the image and it seems to be available only to places outside the US.
11. American Tile and Stone (has option to upload your own image) – They offer one free upload of your own image and they process the image for you in 48 hours. This tool alows you to change floors, walls, counters and trim. It’s really a great option for a free service and they also have images you can use.
12. Floors To Your Home – This is a flooring dealer. Their tool is focused on flooring. Though you cannot upload your image, they have various images to choose from. You can change the flooring, wall color and lighting from day to night. What is unique about this tool is that there is a large variety of flooring from all different manufacturers with the product name and description provided.
13. Planner 5D Virtual Designer – Here is another advanced design program where you can design a whole house from the bottom up. You can add just about every item you can imagine in and outside around the house including landscaping and pool. It’s more of an architect’s or interior designers’ tool. It’s a free tool though there is are added features which cost, if you want to access all the items which can be added.
The free tool however allows you to do alot. It’s actually pretty basic to use. It really just takes a few minutes to figure out. And once you do the possibilities are endless. What is really interesting with this tool is you can view your room or house in 3D and spin it around zooming in and out, seeing everything from every possible angle inside and around the house (click the left mouse button while you drag the mouse to do this). It’s really a cool tool to play around with, bring out the designer in you, and even build your dream home.
14. HomeByMe – This is another full scale designer program similar to Planner 5D where you can design a house from the bottom up. Put rooms, doors, furniture and everything right where you want it. View your house from every possible angle. It looks like they give you one free design and charge for additional designs. But you can setup a free account and complete a whole house with that one design. Everything is done as with all of these programs, on the website.
15. Room Sketcher – Similar to RoomByMe and Planner 5D, Room Sketcher is a great freebie for designing a whole house all around. Add everything into your house and view it from all around. Though so far 5D has been the easiest to use and has the added ability to design outside the house with all your landscaping.
16. RoomToDo – Design a 3D house layout just the way you like. Similar to the above 3D designers, RoomToDo is a next option for doing your free design online. Give it a go and see what more you can dream up in the virtual world that’s only limited to your imagination.
17. SpaceDesigner – Design your home for free online with SpaceDesigners Virtual Tool. Like the others it has 2D and 3D views, while it also has a 3D walk around view. Make a free online account and save and print your design as well. This one we really liked alot as its pretty easy to use and has pretty much every item you can imagine including landscaping and even background views like a mountain.
18. AutoDesk HomeStyler – Spend a few minutes figuring this one and out and in no time you’ll be whipping up your own virtual home. Most of these programs aren’t too difficult to figure out how to use. This one like the others allows you to add rooms, set the size, add furniture, flooring, wall colors and everything else.
19. FloorPlanner – FloorPlanner does offer 1 free design with a multiple level house. You start paying to upgrade when you want high resolution printouts or 3D views. The pricing seems pretty fair though. All the other tools on this list currently are all free. A few may have a fee to upgrade though for anyone looking for freebies who wants to spin up some creative design for fun or for ideas, all of these are great. Some are just about good enough for professional designing.